At Streets, we believe that art is meant to endure, and that’s exactly what we strive for with our range of printed products. Whether it’s canvas prints, fine art prints, acrylic prints, aluminium prints, or block mounts, each is meticulously crafted with archival materials, ensuring that your prints can be passed down through generations. However, even the sturdiest of creations need some tender loving care to maintain their allure. So here we’ve assembled a comprehensive guide on how to care for your photos and preserve their vibrancy and longevity.
Canvas prints offer a timeless elegance that can be beautifully displayed in your home. To safeguard their condition, observe the following guidelines:
- Regular Dusting: Use a soft feather duster or cloth to gently remove dust from the canvas print’s surface.
- Mild Cleaning: If you encounter blemishes or stains, refrain from using excessive force when cleaning. Because Streets coats all canvas prints in professional clear lacquer, you can instead, use a soft, damp cloth to delicately wipe away. Avoid the use of chemical cleaning agents as they can adversely affect the print.
- Sunlight Protection: Canvas prints are susceptible to fading when exposed to direct sunlight. To mitigate this risk, position your artwork away from the sun’s direct rays. Even relatively brief daily direct sun exposure can lead to gradual fading.
- Optimal Environment: Hang your canvas print in a cool, dry place to protect it from potential moisture-related damage. High humidity should also be avoided.
Rolled Fine Art Prints:
Fine art prints are characterized by their delicacy and require special attention:
- Clean Hands or Gloves: The oils and dirt present on your hands can transfer onto the inked surface of fine art prints, potentially causing damage. Handle these prints with clean, dry hands or wear gloves.
- Flattening Curled Prints: If your fine art print arrives curled or, if it becomes curled over time, you can gently flatten it by placing it under a heavy book with acid-free paper interleaved between the print and the book’s cover.
- Sunlight and Temperature Control: Like canvas prints, fine art prints are vulnerable to direct sunlight and extreme temperature fluctuations. When displaying them, consider professional framing with UV-protective acrylic or glass.
True Photographic Prints:
True photographic prints are developed in a wet environment. Their protective coating makes them durable but follow these guidelines to prevent any permanent damage:
- Cleaning: True photographic prints can handle a bit of moisture and dry without any damage if it’s just water. If your prints have marks on them, use a soft cotton cloth soaked in water (no chemicals) to wipe off the marks and leave the print flat to air dry. Do not use any abrasive materials, particularly if the print is wet as they could scratch the prints.
- Sunlight and Temperature Control: Like our other products, photographic prints are vulnerable to direct sunlight. When displaying them, consider professional framing with UV-protective acrylic or glass.
Acrylic prints introduce a modern and vibrant element to your space. To maintain their brilliance, use the following guidelines:
- Gentle Cleaning: Cleaning acrylic prints is a straightforward task. A soft, dampened cloth is the ideal tool for this purpose. Avoid the use of any cleaning chemicals, or abrasive cloths.
- Protection from Sunlight: Shield your acrylic print from direct sunlight exposure. Even brief daily exposure to sunlight can lead to fading over time.
Aluminium prints exude a sleek and contemporary aesthetic and can show fingerprints easily. To preserve their appearance, consider the following:
- Cautious Cleaning: Use a soft, lint-free, damp cloth for cleaning. Avoid the use of abrasive cleaners, which can damage the surface. Handle wearing cotton gloves.
- Sunlight Protection: Keep your aluminium print away from direct sunlight, as it is sensitive to UV rays, and prolonged exposure can cause it to lose its vibrancy.
- Prevent Scratches: Exercise care when handling aluminium prints to avoid scratching their surface. While durable, aluminium is not impervious to damage.
Block Mounts on 12mm MDF:
Block mounts provide a unique decorative element for your space. To preserve their condition, please follow these recommendations:
- Gentle Cleaning: Maintain the surface of your block mount by cleaning it with a soft, dampened cloth. Refrain from using any cleaning agents.
- Light and Temperature Control: Just like other forms of artwork, block mounts should be shielded from direct sunlight, high humidity, and extreme temperature fluctuations.
By following these instructions on how to care for your photos, you can be sure your printed artwork stays with you with vibrancy for years to come. And display them with confidence, knowing that you’ve taken good care of these valuable pieces.